Mingo County Health officials said 16 additional new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed over the weekend, which were listed for the days of July 25-26. These 16 new cases follow the 10 confirmed Thursday, July 23, and 16 on Friday, July 24.
Health officials said these new occurrences to date bring Mingo County up to 121 positive cases overall and to a total of 104 to date for the month of July. Only 17 total positive cases had been confirmed at the end of June.
MCHD Administrator Keith Blankenship said the significant number increase appears to be the result of out-of-area travel as well as people attending local events inherently common this time of year, such as weddings and high school graduations and proms.
He said the ages of the 16 latest occurrences range from the ages of six to 67 years-old, and include patients with and without symptoms. All the individuals are isolating, he said, and the MCHD is currently contacting all those people who have been in contact with them.
All close contacts, he added, will be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.
As of Monday, July 27, 2,452 people have been tested for COVID-19 with 2,329 of those having been determined negative.
There have now been 121 positive cases, with two probable cases still pending. There have been two deaths attributed to COVD-19, and there have been 43 recoveries. Currently there are 76 active cases in Mingo County.
As continues to be the procedure, health officials are asking that residents maintain their practice of social distancing, wear face coverings when applicable, and to follow all the governor's executive orders. Those who feel they need to be tested should contact their primary care provider or their local healthcare clinic.