The third case of COVID-19 was confirmed earlier this week in Mingo County, according to Mingo County Health Department Administrator Keith Blankenship.

Blankenship said the case was confirmed on Monday, May 11.

He said the person is a 25 year-old male who reported no symptoms but who would remain isolated at home.

The MCHD notified all those persons who have been in close contact with the male, Blankenship said, and that all close contacts were asked to self-quarantine. He said these contacts will also be monitored for sign and symptoms.

In addition, all confirmed cases will be isolated, Blankenship noted.

As of presstime, 551 COVID-19 tests have been performed in Mingo County with 544 having been determined negative, three now having been confirmed positive (with one death), and four tests still pending, Blankenship said.

Health officials are asking that residents continue to practice social distancing, wear face coverings if possible, and to follow all the governor's executive orders. Those who feel they need to be tested should contact their primary care provider or their local healthcare clinic.

For more information about COVID-19 visit the WV DHHR at www.coronavirus.wv.gov or the CDC at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus  Residents may also call the Mingo County Health Department at (304) 235-3570.

Recommended for you