Although not an agenda item, hiring an attorney to proceed with legal action regarding the enforcement of the abandoned buildings and dilapidated structures ordinance topped the discussion at Kermit’s regular council meeting Monday evening.

Mayor Charles Sparks said the town should be “legally right” with the town’s ordinance and that council should consider this next step of hiring an attorney; which he pointed out, would, among other benefits, ensure that all legal aspects of the ordinance are in compliance.

“I really think this is the step we should take,” he said. “It’s also going to make more of an impact on these property owners when they get notification from an attorney saying legal action is going to be taken against them if they don’t comply with the ordinance.”

Because the item was not on this week’s agenda, council agreed to conduct a special meeting Monday, May 17, at 6 p. m. so that further official action could be taken on the matter.

In other business, council set the town’s annual Fourth of July celebration for July 3 at the Kermit Community Park. As usual, Sparks said, the town will be supplying free watermelon and popsicles.

Atypical from past events, however, is the possibility there might not be fireworks culminating the holiday due to a current shortage.

Sparks said he has been in contact with the town’s usual fireworks vendor and was informed of the apparent unavailability.

“Right now we don’t know how it’s all going to play out and if we’ll be able to get our fireworks or not,” he said. “I’m going to stay after him, and hopefully this won’t be a major problem. But at this point we’ll just have to wait and see.”

Also discussed was the town possibly using a portion of the $100,000 being allocated to it and each of the county’s other four townships by the Mingo County Commission from its ED Fund for economic development projects within the respective towns.

Sparks said this portion to be used, approximately $20,000, would go towards the purchase of a tract of property adjacent to the town’s park for future development.

Although each town is first required to submit a plan to the MCC detailing the money’s usage toward economic development, which then is relayed on to the state for its approval, Sparks said he is optimistic the town will be permitted to go ahead with this specific project.

Recommended for you